- Puppies have a "critical period" of socialization between around 4 and 14 weeks old?
- Dogs are talking to us all the time using body language?
- The American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior and the American Animal Hospital Association both agree that you should begin socializing your puppy before they have completed vaccinations?
- You can "over-socialize" your puppy and make it afraid of everyday things?
- Domestic dogs in our homes are not pack animals, and you don't need to "dominate" your dog, or worry about it "dominating" you? (Whaaat? Yes. Seriously. Learn about it here.)
If you didn't know all those things, that's okay! You're a human, and up until now you may not have had to worry about all things doggy.
Now that you've got a little pupper, though, let's make sure you're armed with the facts (no alternative facts, here!) as you enter the wonderful world of puppy-parentdom. Learn the science behind canine development, cognition, and behavior.
This guide is your trusted resource for raising, caring for, and managing your wild ball of fluff and teeth that you sometimes think spawned from the devil himself (or herself). Meet several of Charlotte's most prestigious trainers and hear their thoughts on everything from choosing a puppy to feeding your puppy to managing pups and kids together.
"The website is extremely well built with all of the topics I was wondering about as a new puppy parent. I had questions/thoughts when I was working through the website but I soon realized each was addressed and had a great solution. I like the idea of creating a community with the forums. Communities are great for puppy parents. The trainers and people featured were professional and comfortable. It was nice that you gave more information under the videos with places to buy things or more books to read. This website ROCKS."
- Lucia H., Julep's Mom
Certified by CATCH Canine Trainers Academy and knowledgeable in the science of canine learning, Adriana is a member of the Force-Free Alliance of Charlotte Trainers and is working to make force-free and science-based training the new standard in dog education. She has trained dogs of every variety, from rescued racing Greyhounds and Pit Bulls to Maltese and Havaneses, and has solved behavioral issues from dog-dog aggression to resource guarding. Her passion is to make dog-friendly teaching methods available to everyone, everywhere.
StartMeet Kathy (0:16)
StartPros and Cons of Adopting vs. Buying (2:37)
StartThe Puppy Timeline (3:29)
StartHow Old Should My Puppy Be? (1:17)
StartChoosing A Breed (1:00)
StartChoosing A Good Breeder (3:29)
StartChoosing A Good Rescue (2:12)
StartPuppy Characteristics (0:53)
StartChoosing a Puppy from the Litter (1:18)
StartEvaluating Puppies for Adoption (0:21)
"This Puppy Care & Management online course is an excellent resource for anyone with a new puppy or dog! I love that each section of the course is thorough, concise and in terms that are easily understandable! It is very user friendly, giving the viewer a chance to see, hear and learn how to apply the material being presented. The visual examples and video clips will be helpful for Pet Parents, because they can see what is being talked about and apply it to situations with their own puppy or dog. If their is a particular subject that interests you, you can skip sections and view others first. If you'd like to get your puppy or dog off to a great start, I'd highly recommend this learning resource!"
- Terri Jane, Founder, My Dog's Keeper
"It was great to see content from a variety of well educated trainers. The video quality was excellent and I encountered zero issues while watching them. I'll be recommending the puppy management course to my friends who are looking to add a furry friend to their family."
- Mike D., Bowser's Dad
Frequently Asked Questions
• Meet seven of Charlotte's most prestigious trainers, talking about their favorite puppy-raising subjects.
• Learn about Charlotte-area doggy businesses you can trust.
• Access 20 modules and over 100 video lectures.
• Links to expert opinions about the science that backs up our recommendations.
• Lifetime access to forums where you can interact with fellow students, ask questions, and share your experiences.